measuring for your curtains
always use a metal
Measuring for your new curtains is really simple. You just need a metal tape measure (cloth ones can stretch and give inaccurate measurements), a pen and a pad.
How to measure the correct width for your new curtains
Measure the curtain track or pole width, not the window. If fitting a new track or pole, this should extend 15cm to 20cm either side of the window and at least 15cm above.
1. For a standard curtain track, simply measure the full width of the track, that is your correct curtain width.
2. If your track has an overlap in the centre, measure the full width of the track (a) and the width of the overlap (b). Add the two together and that is your correct curtain width.
3. For a curtain pole simply measure the width of the pole between any finials or end caps, that is your correct curtain width
How to measure the correct drop for you new curtains
Curtains can be hung either to the floor, to a sill or to below the sill. We suggest that curtains finish either;
- 1.5cm above the floor
- 15-20cm below the sill (or 2cm above the radiator)
- 1.5cm above the sill
Where you start to measure from will depend on whether you are using a track or pole and what heading type you have chosen.
Pencil Pleat & Pinch Pleat Heading
1. When using a curtain track, measure from the top of the track to where the curtain is to finish at the bottom.
2. When using a curtain pole, measure from the underside of the decorative ring to where you want the curtain to finish at the bottom.
1. Our eyelet heading curtains will fit poles up to 30mm in diameter. Simply measure from the top of the pole to where you want the curtains to finish at the bottom. We will make the curtains with 3cm of fabric above the top underside of the eyelet where it sits on the pole. We add this automatically so simply just measure from the top of your curtain pole.
All tuiss pencil pleat curtains are supplied in pairs and double width as a minimum. For example if your ordered size is 200cm x 200cm you will receive a pair of curtains each of which will measure 200cm x 200cm when totally flat. When hung and gathered tuiss curtains will have a wonderful fullness and drape.
Our eyelet curtains are supplied in pairs and 1.5 x width for a sleeker more contemporary look. For example if your ordered size is 200cm x 200cm you will receive a pair of curtains each of which will measure 150cm x 200cm when totally flat. With regular even pleats eyelet curtains require the least amount of space either side of the window.
Tuiss double pinch pleat curtains are all supplied in pairs and double width as a minimum. As with Pencil Pleat, if you order a 200cm x 200cm curtain you will receive a pair of curtains 200cm x 200cm flat. A pinch pleat heading will give your curtain a classic style and is perfect for both poles and tracks.